June 1, 2010

MmmBop


Okay, okay. So the title of this blog is a dead give-away for the linked song. HOWEVER, I hope you'll still take a click/listen to it because... did you ever realize that the song actually has verses? That is, REAL lyrics? Me neither... until... now...
You have so many relationships in this life
Only one or two will last
You go through all this pain and strife
Then you turn your back and they're gone so fast
And they're gone so fast
So hold on to the ones who really care
In the end they'll be the only ones there
When you get old and start losing your hair
Can you tell me who will still care?
Can you tell me who will still care?

Plant a seed, plant a flower, plant a rose
You can plant any one of those
Keep planting to find out which one grows
It's a secret no one knows

It's a secret no one knows
This past weekend, I got to visit a dear friend from college in Washington D.C. - and bring along a sweet friend from here in North Carolina. To be honest, it was a little weird to see two of my worlds colliding! :) But it was also extremely wonderful to see these two people quickly get along so easily: "nice person, please meet other nice person." Done.

Two additional purposes for the trip: 1) my friend has adopted my cat Ranger; I will not blog about the tearful goodbye & current loneliness because it will get a bit too weepy for a public audience. 2) I figured since I would be leaving the country for the next two years, it was only suitable to begin my "see you laters" with our country's Founding Fathers :P

I love the "absurd" things of life... because just like the hit song: "MmmBop" - I can't help but laugh or sing along in the moment. Amidst the serious weights of adult life, its nice to just MmmBop a little. Then even, somehow later, MmmBop resurfaces to reveal or represent a bit something more.


So apparently I have a "special" fondness for fire hydrants. I don't really know why (actually, I will be revealing my deeper hypothesis in a moment) but I just notice the color of fire hydrants, think they're kinda cute, and therefore, will take photographs of them when traveling. Here are the ones from this past weekend:


I didn't quite realize all of this until I blurted out: "woah! a yellow fire hydrant!" I thought it was pretty spectacular and therefore, thought I should point it out to all within the car. "Aren't they usually red?" In fact... no. Did you know that fire hydrant top colors correlate with their water flow rate?!? As you can see from the photos, I was able to track down a red, yellow, and green fire hydrant - as well as a BLACK one! Woohoo :) I've never seen a blue one - so if you ever spot one, would you please photograph it for me? Thanks!


Now for my hypothesis as to why fire hydrants hold a significant place in my heart: 1) I was a dog in my past life  or 2) In front of my 'home sweet home' in good 'ole Troy, Michigan, we have a red fire hydrant in our yard. Perhaps it is my subconscious way of always staying close to home. (go ahead - "awww")


This next photograph is somewhat self-explanatory - a quick game of "which one does not seemingly belong?" But then upon further thought, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I'm proud to be an American, where an eggroll comfortably fits right in-between hotdogs, pizzas, and pretzels :)


See you later, Mr. Washington!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have enlightened me twofold with this one post, Gail!! (mmmBop having actual lyrics & the fire hydrant color coding -- who knew?!) thank you :] we, too, have a red fire hydrant in front of our house! now i know its flow rate :D
-Lotte

gail said...

glad i could be the one to shed light on this extremely important information :D