May 19, 2010
I go walking in my sleep
With 15 days left of school, each day's pace seems to quicken in such a way that even "walking in my sleep" sounds entirely slow and restful :)
With 15 days left of school, I've really been trying to soak in these last moments with my current students and coworkers... its really starting to hit me that much of what I currently see/hear/do will be changing drastically in the not-so-distant future. Yes, incredibly excited for things to come but here comes that word again: "bittersweet." Here are two recent "moments" that just made my heart happy.
There's this janitor at my school who is just this entirely cute little old man. We don't have too much interaction but every once in a while, when I take my students to lunch, he's the one who comes sweeping/mopping the floors after we're through. Usually, I'm wiping down the tables and he'll be right ready behind me. We have this ongoing joke about the baseball caps he wears. When I first met him, I noticed how he always wears a UNC (University of North Carolina) cap - BUT it seemed that every day was a different color or design. So of course, every time I see him now, I say, "I like your stylish new cap!" Every time, he sheepishly smiles and responds with something or other - which to be honest, I never really know what. I'm not sure if its because he's soft-spoken, mumbly, or something - but I can't always understand what he says. So I just smile :) You see where this is headed, don't you?
So a few days ago, same thing as usual: "I like your fancy new cap!" (or some variation of this) And his response was a smile with *something something something* OF COURSE, not clearly hearing what he just said, I simply smile back. However, he was a bit persistent, repeats himself, and steps closer to me. At this point, I still can't comprehend. OF COURSE, I stand there nodding and smiling. HA. Next thing I know, he's reaching over and pulls a macaroni out of my hair. We both chuckle... he probably even more once I left the cafeteria! Looking back, I can't help but love that I have such people in my life who care enough to pull ridiculous things out of my life for me... even when I have no idea whats going on :)
Since the beginning of the school year, a big "theme" or "motto" in my classroom has been "Reading is Thinking!" (It basically sums up everything I've been learning in grad school with regard to earning certification as a reading specialist.) So my students made a banner that hangs over our reading corner and throughout the year, I'm sure I've buoyantly uttered the phrase again and again, gently pounding it into their subconscious. Earlier this morning, I somewhat jokingly put my head down at our reading table
and murmured "Ms.Shen needs a quick nap to rest." One of my students retorts, "Hey! That's not fair! We still have to read!" I look up, "Yes, but reading is so relaxing and enjoyable!" Completely serious now, he looks me straight in the eye and says, "Reading is thinking. My brain is not relaxing." Touche.
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
HAHA! love the motto! enjoy these last 2 weeks! :]
- lotte
Post a Comment