June 21, 2010
Need to Learn to Let Go
These past few days' "theme song" has been extremely helpful: spiritually, emotionally, but at a very literal level - physically: I've been trying to make decisions with regard to packing/selling/donating/throwing away STUFF. It just hasn't been really all that fun. The personality combination of indecisiveness & sentimentalism does not lend itself very well to this current task :)
Today, I was at a store waiting in line at the checkout and you know how whenever you're in a rush, the person in front of you (of course) has these extra little "quirks" that inevitably slow down the entire process?
Lets call this lady Luna, shall we? Luna was now at the counter... BUT: she had these two pairs of red sandals (both very cute by the way) and she hadn't decided which pair to actually purchase. Luna turns to me, holding them both up, "Which do you like better? I like both but my husband will kill me if I come back with two pairs of red sandals." At this point, it struck me that Luna was currently wearing a pair of (also very cute) red shoes. Oh well, to each her own! Nonetheless, I gave her my honest opinion "I think the ones on the right are more fun!" So she then turns to the cashier, "What do you think? Which ones do you like?" The cashier answers, affirming my own opinion. Luna stands there, holding both pairs, thinking aloud, "hmmmm... maybe I'll just get both!" Fair enough.
THEN, Luna holds up two pairs of khaki shorts of slightly different 'khaki' shades. Turning to me again, she asks, "Which one?" I tell her the darker shade. She turns to the cashier and the cashier also agrees. Luna lifts up both... "yeah. good call." PHEW. Another decision done. As Luna leans down into her cart, the cashier and I make eye contact with the mutual understanding, 'W-O-W' as Luna lifts out two shirts...
I'm waiting for her to turn towards me for another vote but instead, she looks at them and says, "Nah, I don't really like these," and hands them to the cashier. AND with that, she was done, ready to checkout.
I'm pretty amused by this whole scenario because I can totally relate! :) HA. So many times, I have shopped on my own, completely flustered because I can't make a decision... shoulda just took everything to the checkout line and taken a poll! :P And currently, instead of the constant angst of decision-making-on-my-own and the necessity of learning-to-let-go, it'd be nice to just borrow some people, take them back to my apartment, and say "What do you think? Keep or throw away?"
Right now, I'm pretty much in the stage of PURGE :D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
hmm, i'll have to try luna's checkout technique in moments of extreme indecision!
Post a Comment