July 18, 2010

I ain't lost, just wandering


Today is my last day in "the triangle" of North Carolina... deep breaths... for I know its going to be a tough one when I wake up and already feel like I'm on the brink of tears.

Yesterday, my mom asked me if once I got overseas and people asked me where I'm from, would I respond Michigan or North Carolina? I didn't really have an answer.
Back a few weeks ago, others at training asked me where I was from in the US and I specifically remember stuttering.

This past week has been a real treat, completely surrounded by wonderful wonderful friends... but inevitably each time, I would get back into my car driving off with tears streaming down.

I remember moving here four years ago not knowing but a handful of people. I remember being completely frightened to death during the whole first month of school as the newbie teacher. I remember trying to have a picnic on my own at "Triangle Research Park" or exploring "downtown Durham" or just angst in the car because I was always getting lost along the very picturesque non-straight roads. I remember going to my first UNC basketball game, trying my hardest to spell C-A-R-O-L-I-N-A during cheers. I remember trying Bojangles and having "liquid candy" (aka Sweet Tea) for the first time. I remember going to my first State Fair and trying a zillion and one fried items, then of course profusely apologizing to my stomach later on. I remember taking my first day trip to the beach, learning how to go under waves rather than swept up in them. The list of sweet memories could go on...

A friend of mine noticed a kleenex box that is now permanently housed in my car. Yes, that is right; it is a necessary staple. I don't quite understand the incessant waterworks either but at least for this season of life, its just how my eyeballs have been functioning :)

The other afternoon, my apartment was completely packed and I had a few hours just to myself. So I went for a drive. I ain't lost, just wandering. I didn't have any specific destinations; I just needed to drive and in my own way, say a "see you later" to a place that has become so very dear to my heart.

So... see you later, North Carolina... and thank you to y'all who have made it truly "home" these past four years.

4 comments:

Judy Ouyang said...

I will miss you!Have a great time back in Michigan!PLease keep in touch! Take care!

Unknown said...

Dear Gail, I want to wish you the very best. Its going to be a wonderful adventure! Love Emily K x

Lotte said...

glad that we were able to spend your last 2 days here together :)

Whitney said...

Aw, I just noticed that you said "y'all". Love it!