April 4, 2010

A place of Sweet Escape I fell into


ahhh... this past week I had Spring Break - hence, the relaxed, sun-kissed tone of this post :) When technology speeds up, the smell of sunblock will come wafting into your presence...

At this time, I wanted to share with you a pivotal moment that just occurred in my life: Before heading off to the beach for a Sweet Escape, I was able to meet up with a friend of mine for a "business lunch" - indeed, a VERY special occasion for us schoolteachers! (thats not the significant moment, wait for it...) She took me to a cute place called "Manhattan Cafe" where I proceeded to order a panini sandwich, aptly named "The Manhattan Combo." Dutifully waiting in line, the man at the counter asked me for my order. THIS was the moment: "I'll have the Maanhaaaaattan Combo, please." For the FIRST TIME EVER, I heard my own Midwest aaaccent!! I was shocked. dumbfounded. I have now lived in NC for 3.7 years and although people around me have, on occasion, remarked on certain words that I say, I haven't ever been able to distinguish the sounds. Somehow, words such as "flatten" or "Valentine" or "accent" would give away my Midwest roots to others but it has never ever sounded odd to my own Midwestern-trained ears... until... this past momentous day. That's right, I aaadmit it now... we do exaggerate a certain vowel sound or two :)

As my friend and I further discussed my aaaccent, I told her how I have just started to see the convenient use of "y'all" in certain situations. Although I have never been able to bring myself to use it, I am now considering. Now I'm going to premise this next part by saying that I really love North Carolinian folks - I just had preconceived notions before moving down here that still linger. So before, I always pictured a farmer wearing overalls with a straw hat, jigging, and saying "Y'all" - I have no idea where that vision came from but I'm just being honest in my association with the word. Here we are, in line now waiting for our food, when a man in a dapper business suit approaches us, "Y'all ordered already?" I about burst out laughing due to the incongruence of the mental picture as well as the fact that we had just conversed about that specific word! Fortunately, I remembered I was out at a "business lunch" and held it together.

In short? solidifies this opportune transition to Morocco - clearly, in order to maintain my Midwest accent, I must leave NC soon :)

As for my Sweet Escape to the beach? Instead of getting overly sentimental & personal on you via a blog, please take a listen to the song, for it pretty much sums up my entire experience ... just imagine me on the beach dancing to an audience of One :D And I like to think I looked a bit like this :P

And... today is Easter - woohoo! MAJOR celebration day!!! - here's a favorite quote to leave you with: "I find that Holy Week is draining; no matter how many times I have lived through His crucifixion, my anxiety about His resurrection is undiminished - I am terrified that, this year, it won't happen; that, that year, it didn't. Anyone can be sentimental about the Nativity; any fool can feel like a Christian at Christmas. But Easter is the main event; if you don't believe in the Resurrection, you're not a believer." (John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany) And if you're not quite sure - PLEASE. talk to me. As they say at this fabulous fast-food place, it would truly be a privilege and "my pleasure!" :) Happy Easter everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've gotten quite a few jabs lately about my "jersey accent". apparently, it's "ORange", not "ARE-nge" ... hmm. i can see the merits of the word "y'all", too, but cannot yet bring myself to utter it :]

easter with you was fun!

- lotte