April 18, 2010

Ain't that mister mister on the radio, stereo


So I apologize - the theme song of this week is pretty random, but then again, so was my week. It's been one of those weeks where you get to the end of it and think, "whoosh! WHAT just happened?" There is no personal link to this song besides the fact that probably every time I got into my car, it was on the radio, stereo. And let's be honest, it's catchy and you can't help but bop along :)

I also apologize to those of you who actually watched the whole video - it was a bit painful, as is actually listening to the lyrics. Yes, they rhyme - phew.  The highlights for me were his little dance moves, anticipating the girl to "blink! blink! blink!!!" and the guitarist who also magically had a banjo in certain scenes- VERY talented fellow :)

Due to the nature of this past week, I also apologize in advance for this blog entry, because it will probably reflect the disarray that was these last few days. And now, for the one person that is still perhaps willing to read on, enjoy!

Have I told you that I'm learning to drive stick-shift?  In anticipation of the manual cars that await me overseas, I want to be prepared. Although I will be predominantly using public transportation to get around, I wanted to have the option "just in case" the congested roads were calling me. A wonderfully patient friend is teaching me with his truck. (photographs to come soon, I promise) I literally have to jump up to get in, as well as place my purse behind me on the seat to reach the pedals. It's ideal. So far, we've been utilizing parking lots and back roads. I've gotten all the way to third gear, only stalling an average of 1.5 times per tutoring session. And I would say the most reiterated piece of advice given thus far has been, "relax gail. just enjoy the ride. feel the car. relax." HA.

Ain't that mister mister on the radio, stereo...

I got two cavities filled this past week and its been a great while since this procedure has been done on my mouth. Therefore, I'd completely forgotten the fact that needles would initially be involved to numb the entire side of one's mouth. I'd also forgotten to eat beforehand. I won't go into too many details regarding the  needles; let's just say tears may or may not have been involved. As for the eating: I had planned on going to a favorite cafe afterwards as a motivational treat while doing some work for grad school. I had asked the dentist-helper-lady how long the anesthesia would last (i.e. how long until I can eat?) and she had responded, "oh, only about an hour or so." So in my mind, I figured I could still order and nibble until the effects had completely worn off in an hour. And I calculated even less than an hour by the time I took into account traveling to the cafe!

Ain't that mister mister on the radio, stereo...

Upon arrival, I ordered a favorite: turkey, brie, and apple chutney panini - but instead, it came out as "I'll have the turkel pamimi" I was hoping the cashier-man-guy would just let it go but not so much - as he looks up and grins, "Did you just say 'turkel pamimi'?" Yes, yes I did. He grins again and responds, "that's fun. I like that. turkel pamimi. it's actually one of my favorite items here too. I adore brie cheese." Seriously? So we end up having an entire conversation about our mutual enthusiasm for cheese. It was lovely. I have found a forever friend who enjoys an occasional cheese ball as much as myself.

Ain't that mister mister on the radio, stereo...

By now, about 40 minutes had passed since the dentist. I still had no feeling and control over half my mouth but I knew this would be good patience and self-control training. just 20 more minutes. Glancing away from the food, I reached over to take a sip of water. [insertion of health info: over the past two weeks or so, my left hand pinky finger occasionally twitches uncontrollably. i know its weird and trivial but its really been starting to bother me and by the end of the day, my lower left arm is really sore. more to come on this in future blogs.] I'm holding the glass of water with my left hand and gingerly trying to sip the water with the right side of my mouth very unsuccessfully: my finger is twitching, the glass is vibrating, and the water is dribbling into my lap. Stellar job, gail. I put down the glass and self-pity tears are starting to well up. Thankfully, in moments like these we still have a choice - To cry or go with the crazy and laugh. I suddenly pictured what I must look like to those around me - and just started grinning, chuckling, laughing aloud. Perhaps it was the lack of food, perhaps it had been a pretty long day and exhaustion was taking over, perhaps the anesthesia was actually delayed laughing gas, or perhaps I really am going crazy - but I ended up sitting there giggling to myself. Sometimes its the only thing left to do :)

ps. the "or so" was pretty important when the dentist-helper-lady told me how long it would be until I had full use of my mouth. About 3 hours  and 20 minutes later, the turkel pamimi was finally mine :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The dentist and I are not friends -- well the actual man is ok, but the chair, the procedures, etc... make me nervous every time. When he TOLD me I would have to get a cavity filled I cried. and then cried again when he filled it. And that was at 25 years old. So, I feel your pain. and the "or so" -- sounds about right to me!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't see that video before - so feel good! As was this latest blog post, despite the unfortunate dentist incident. Way to stake your claim on that pamimi!
- Lotte