September 30, 2010

Still photos and noisy arcades

My everyday life right now is a constant "noisy arcade" interspersed with "still photos" and thus, this blog will be reflective of such :D As much as I still am adjusting to the noisy arcade of life here, I love the still photo opportunities that make me catch my breath, "Yes, I am in Morocco." :)

I'm a teacher; I love sticky notes.
They really are "fantaSTICK" HA:)
I'm still not fully adjusted to the noise level of my students voices; some are especially passionate speakers and don't seem to mind the constant "noisy arcade" of our classroom. Amidst all the normal chaos of packing up for the day, an extremely shy little girl was trying to tell me about her exciting after-school snack. With me leaning in to hear her yell progressively louder and louder, the conversation went a bit like this:
"Miss, I am excited for my snack today when I get home."
"What are you excited about?"
Just walking along...
and then I look up :)
"Miss Shen, I am excited for my snack!"
"Oh, your snack! And what is this special snack?"
"Chocolate crap."
"What?"
"Chocolate crap!"
"Your special snack?"
"Chocolate crap!!"
(Can you see my eyes bulging and mind whirling, as her voice is getting louder and I'm trying to interpret what she's excited to eat??)
"Miss Shen, I'm excited to eat chocolate crap!!!"
(Can't you just see this tiny little girl screaming to be heard above the increasing noise level of 24 other students and not understanding why her teacher is giving her a really funny look???)
FINALLY, it dawns on me...
"ohhhh! you're excited to eat a chocolate CREPE after school today!"
And the little girl beams, nodding her head vigorously :)

The cars, drivers, and roads here are still very much like a "noisy arcade" to me; its definitely a lot more fun driving around here! Many of us joke that its like playing a video game :) For instance, in addition to the taxis, cars, motorbikes, bicycles, donkey-carts, and bold pedestrians, you might see a British car with the steering wheel on the opposite side driving along next to you:
or maybe just a celebratory parade:

And after a really long day today, here's just a "still photo" from within our kitchen apartment tonight that brought a smile to my face... yes, I'm still in Morocco :)
Due to their unavailability to purchase anew,
Ziploc bags are washed, then hung to dry,
saved & reused!
my dad would be proud :)

1 comment:

lotte said...

mmm chocolate crepe! :]
great pictures - especially the last one!