It is June and right now a bit unnerving to think that in under two weeks, I will be leaving places and people I have grown to love this past year. But I promise not to get soggy sentimental in this blog post - we'll save that inevitable one for later ;)
Instead, let's catch up on an experience of Morocco.
Last weekend, I went to a northern town called Chefchaouen. From others' photographs and stories, I was highly anticipating the visit to the "Blue City"; it was incredibly quaint, laid back, and just beautiful - sitting within the Rif mountains. Yes, the entire town had this blue taint to it - so soothing... and a bit like I was forever walking around a swimming pool.
We soon found out that the water from the local wells were potable. In fact, it was THE best tasting water I've ever had... straight-from-the-mountain-cold-delicious-goodness! So of course, my friend and I took every opportunity we had to fill up our water bottles and stay hydrated with the fresh swigs of Chefchaouen water :)
In addition to shopping and touristing around the medina, I was excited to go hiking nearby and reach the "Grande Cascade" - we were told it would be a 2-3 hour hike up to the point of destination, but what others neglected to inform us about were the treacherous river crossings along the trail... we counted about nine times where we literally crossed the river. Yes, a river - not a pretty scenic little tame stream or cute trickle of water - but a very well and alive river flowing down the mountain. I also think we underestimated the words "hike in Morocco" thinking it was going to be a fairly easy quest. Instead, we were faced with non-trail-like-trails, steep mountain climbing moments, and hanging onto roots and branches for dear life. So after about four or so hours where the waterfall was still not anywhere in sight nor sound, we decided it best to turn around and trek back. I know, I know, it is sad but true. Humble honesty here... but I never got to the Grand Cascade of Akchor :(
Instead, after we finally crawled back down to the "Petite Cascade", there were three wonderful men who waited on us, serving the best fried eggs EVER (after much gesturing against the SPAM-looking-tuna they love here), with bread and of course, mint tea :)
Overall, two thumbs up for the trip - Chefchaouen is a definite favorite of Morocco. Good friendly people and breathtaking views...
Instead, let's catch up on an experience of Morocco.
We soon found out that the water from the local wells were potable. In fact, it was THE best tasting water I've ever had... straight-from-the-mountain-cold-delicious-goodness! So of course, my friend and I took every opportunity we had to fill up our water bottles and stay hydrated with the fresh swigs of Chefchaouen water :)
Instead, after we finally crawled back down to the "Petite Cascade", there were three wonderful men who waited on us, serving the best fried eggs EVER (after much gesturing against the SPAM-looking-tuna they love here), with bread and of course, mint tea :)Overall, two thumbs up for the trip - Chefchaouen is a definite favorite of Morocco. Good friendly people and breathtaking views...

No comments:
Post a Comment