March 13, 2011

It's time to say goodbye to turning tables

Hmmm... I really do mean to blog more, for I have so many "gail soundtrack" songs swirling in my head to share! :)

My friend Ashlee and I
as we dipped into a rather
foamy ocean!
ps. if you happen to find
a purple flip-flop, please
return it to us!
One of the things I absolutely love about my current life is my proximity to the ocean. I see it from my classroom window, I run alongside it on saturday mornings, and on any random given day, I can drive to it, dipping my toes in. I love how it makes me feel so small and insignificant, reminding me of God's ferocious majesty. I love the sound of it, drowning out my own lil thoughts and replacing them with a deep calm. I love the hues of blues and greens and grays that blend together, creating this massive canvass. I just... love it :)

Usually by this time of the school year, I have fully fallen in love with my students... whelp, whaddya know, it has happened again :) Yes, despite the occasional "days" that still occur where I want to run away pulling my hair, screaming, and never wanting to go back - for the most part, I now really truly LOVE hanging out with my kiddos. They're lotsa fun. In the classroom, we all sorta know one another's quirks. It all blends together in our little community and... it somehow works! Here's a story where I didn't know whether to cry or just laugh. I really have been teaching them! Really! Truly!

This little boy "Harry" (because he actually peculiarly resembles Harry Potter!) is an interesting student in my class... let's just say he doesn't particularly have it 'altogether' all the time. On this THURSDAY, as we are packing up to leave at the end of the day, he comes up to me with his backpack bulging of scattered items, "Miss! we are here in today wednesday??" At first, I don't quite understand so he repeats, "Miss! Miss! Miss! we are here?? in today? wednesday??!?!?" Ahhhhh... mentally translating... translating... "Harry, first of all, what is my name?" Sheeplishly he replies, "Sorry... Miss Shen." And then I continue, "Are you asking me if today is wednesday?" He nods furiously, eyes questioning. I hate to be the one to break it to him, but: "Harry, no. Today is Thursday." He grins, "ahhhh, Miss Shen, I thought today we are here in wednesday!!" And he scampers off to finish packing up his backpack to go home. Oh, sweet child, it's been thursday all day :)

And... as some of you have asked about the political scene currently going on in my part of the world: Yes, there have been riots but thankfully, they have been peaceful. Besides heightened security around town (men in uniforms holding big big guns), all is well :)

And I believe rumors are quickly circulating - so herein lies the answer to "Decision 2011" aka. what I will be up to next school year... See y'all hopefully real soon!!! :D

4 comments:

Marcia said...

Love, love, love how you shared you are coming home!!
Bravo, Gail!

Lotte said...

wait, what day is today?

just kidding!

harry sounds so cute. and YAY, love both songs, for different reasons. ttys!

Jill's Journey said...

We're goin'HOME!!!! :D

Em said...

I am SO HAPPY that you're coming home! YAYyy Gail-we miss you!