November 14, 2010

Just let it take you where you want to go

Sometimes I have to pinch myself... I'm in Morocco :) This morning, I went running along these gorgeous cliffs right next to the Atlantic with a breathtaking view of the ocean waves crashing. Just last weekend, I got to go running in Spain on the Mediterranean, also along beautiful cliffs and blue as blue as blue water splashing :) These are the certain moments where I feel such peace: My heart bursts with thankfulness to Him who is mighty to save!

On my way to school,
this scene is not uncommon.
Currently, things here are gearing up for a major holiday: The Eid al-Kabir. Each family will be sacrificing a sheep in remembrance of Abraham's sacrifice. You can read/learn more about it here or here. But due to all the preparations with the Eid approaching this week, I now see lots and lots of sheep being herded anywhere and everywhere. Billboards, t-shirts, and banners of sheep are also included in this stir of the holiday.

In the classroom, my students are restless and excited. We will have three days off school this coming week and many of my boys are looking forward to the blood and guts aspect. The other day, we were discussing the upcoming holiday and two of my boys got immediately protective, "Miss, you will need to close your eyes, miss. There will be lots of blood," as they gestured the slitting of their throats. I'm thinking that my squeamishness from when they wiggle their loose teeth has made an impression of my (in)tolerance for such things :) Thankfully, I have already made the advance plans to travel out of the country - very glad that trips to Europe are extremely financially accessible.

On the one hand, I think it may have been really interesting to take part in this huge Moroccan holiday - but on the other hand, the release of Harry Potter (part 1 of the last) is this week. So... let's talk Gail's personal priorities, shall we? haha ;) Admittedly, I was THRILLED when I found out the holiday break happen to land on the same days as the movie release and therefore, SUPER excited to be able to travel abroad and see it in English! So there it is... personal confession of major life priorities :)

The large inflatable
at the entrance to
our school festival.
Tea being poured

Henna station

This past friday, our school as a whole had a Moroccan festival, also in honor of The Eid: The students got to wear their Moroccan clothes instead of their usual drab-colored uniforms; there was henna, Moroccan treats, tea, live 'performances' and at the very end, a grand raffle. As a school fundraiser, many people purchased tickets, in hopes of winning the various prizes. However, THE grand prize... a sheep :)
The Grand Prize

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoy HP!!! & europe this week!!
poor sheep ... BAAAA
- lotte

Becky said...

Such "precious" and "protective" boys! :-)

I will MISS you on HP premier night! I almost wanted to buy an extra ticket in honor of you, pretending you were sitting in the empty seat next to me.

Sarah Trussell said...

Mali is celebrating this week too-only its called Tabaski. I keep seeing extra sheep and goats (more than normal) herded around. I also tend to yell in English "YOU ARE GOING TO DIE" to them. Probably not the most culturally sensitive statement, but, hey its the truth!

Marcia said...

Have fun in Europe! Great Blog!